Published on 12 May 2017
by Stephanie Allen
If you’re like me, Mecca has become a much coveted (not for the bank account), staple in the diet. Arguably, skin care has taken precedence in the budget, overtaking things like food, clothes and rent. Am I right? BUT, I am sure some of you make the common mistake of splurging on a product that doesn’t QUITE meet your needs. Trust me, the frustration of purchasing a foundation that looks absolutely heinous on the skin has stumped all of us.Today’s lesson, however, is about the fundamentals BEFORE makeup application. A prepped face can make the difference between a flawless complexion and a blotchy A$$ job. BEFORE you proceed, the vibe of these products are well suited to combination skin.
STEP 1. CLEANSING
PEOPLE are always crapping on about the importance of doing this. Think of cleansing like showering, washing off all the dirt from the day. Do you really want to put make up on top of dead skin cells?
Clinical research suggest that cleansing is essential to looking younger, longer. That’s the spirit.
- EVE LOM Cleanser ($72-$155) – Described by British vogue as ‘probably the best cleanser in the world) (over 300, 5 star reviews). Whilst it is a cleanser, don’t forget it also tones and moisturises all at the same time. It’s also really fun to apply. Put it on in circular motions and then use the Eve Lom Muslin cloth to absorb the product for 10 seconds, before wiping away.
- MARIO BEDASCU Enzyme Cleansing Gel ($19)- We LOVE the cost of this product. This non-foaming stunner is mess free and the alpha hydroxyl acids help break down dulling build up. For combination skin, your face is cleaned and make up is removed without drying up the skin. We absolutely LOVE this product as an affordable product.
- KATE SOMERVILLE Exfoliate Cleanser– ($55). Kate Somerville can do no wrong in our eyes. Her exfoliate cleanser combines glycolic acid and lactic acid which act together to clear build up. The combo of pineapple, pumpkin and papaya enzymes purify and detoxify.
With the purification over, next step is to tone. If you’re strapped for cash, we won’t judge if you go straight to the moisturiser.
STEP 2. TONING
Why the hell should I used toner? Put simply, for those with acne prone skin- or even the occasional blemish here and there, YOU SHOULD USE TONER. Few reasons: it shrinks pores, adds a layer of protection, moistures and refreshes skin.
- REN Clarifying Toning Lotion ($23) – First things first, REN should be a staple in your skincare diet. All products are AMAZING. It’s fabulous for Acne prone skin. Whilst you don’t need to know the exact functions of glycolic acid, lactic acid and citric acid, you do need to know that they’ll reduce the appearance of pore size and oiliness.
- DERMALOGICA Multi Action Toner– ($54) Dermalogica is a crowd please. Why? Because it the preferred product by health care professionals. The toner has extracts of arnica and cucumber and they help to refresh and revitalise the skin.
- SUNDAY RILEY Mattifying Martian Melting Water-Gel Toner ($80). If that name doesn’t sell you, not sure what will. This toner comes out neon green which dissolves with water as soon as you apply it on the skin. Their secret weapon? Marshmallow extract, manuka and salicylic acid which will reduce redness and soothe your skin.
STEP 3. MOISTURISE
Don’t think anyone needs a lecture on the importance of moisturising, right?
- JOSIE MARAN Cosmetics Whipped Argan Face Oil– ($58) Let me preface this by saying. Argan Oil aint for everyone, particularly if you have oily skin. BUT, if you’ve got dry AF skin – this stuff is bloody miraculous. Think INTENSE moisturisation- only apply a small amount before make up.
- DARPHIN Hydraskin Light Cream Gel– ($66) Whenever I ask a Mecca expert what the best moisturiser is, the resounding answer is almost always Darphin. The light cream gel is perfect for day or night and replenishes combination skin, leaving it radiant.
- CODAGE Intense Moisturising Syrum– ($106). The price is worth every penny for this life changing product. Born out of Paris, it’s the perfect product for winter. The syrum uses a powerful blend of botanicals to deliver INTENSE hydration. (Ps, every girl needs at least one syrum in their lives).
STEP4. PRIME TIME BABY
A lot of people consider primer to be a waste of time. Quite frankly, that’s a stupid statement. Primer is the base for your foundation. It makes your make up last longer (day into night). It seals your pores. It acts as a natural shield for dust, water and debris. It is anti ageing.
- BY TERRY – Terrybly Densiliss Primer ($150) With a price tag like this one, it should be worth it. But this isn’t any old primer, it is SO much more than that. Not only does it make your skin feel like a babies bottom, it makes your make up last for HOURS. Certainly worth the extra penny.
- MECCA COSMETICA ($17-$45)- All their primers are equally as good. Consult with one of the staff and get the right Primer for your skin. Now that it’s winter, the sun kissed bronzing primer is amazing on the skin and ensures that you look bronzed all year round, just the way we like it.
- SMASHBOX- Photo finish foundation primer – ($23-71). This primer is an affordable, award winning product ensures that the skin is radiant and photo ready, ideal for a night out.